Great Cycling Adventures

14 July 2009

My phone died overnight.  Oh well, whatever was eating the battery has certainly stopped running now.

I haven't sat on my wallet in a while, it was awkward to do that.

I was road until about 1500.  I'm not sure when I left, for the usual 0715.  I do know I made it to Orick before 0800 for a slice of blackberry pie.  Riding on the freeway is really nice, it is fast with pseudo tail wind from the passing trucks.  I like it better than country roads with endless fields, rough. Roads and no shoulders.  The freeways have a large shoulder and the rumble strip between me and the motor homes makes the road comfortable.

  This morning was foggy and rainy so I decided to ride today instead of taking the day off.  The day was rainy until Trinidad.  On some of the down hills I was moving so fast I could barely see.  I stopped in Trinidad, it is a small town but I got lots of cliffs bars and some chips to eat.  After checking out the beach and the memorial lighthouse (it has a list of peope lost and buried at sea), I continued on out of trinidad and the rain seemed to dry up. I stopped a couple times for gummy worms but otherwise I stayed on 101 until Eureka where checked out the old town, then got some sheppards pie for lunch and discovered I took the wrong path through town, so I found the proper route and continued on looking for a bike shop but I found fort humbolt first.  Fort humbolt is on the south end of Eureka, so I missed the bike shop.  I continued on hoping to go another 6 miles or so.  I started riding along 101 again, Fields Landings looked boring, so I rode on looking for an Eel river tap room.  There was a billboard on the side of the road that intrigued me.  Thinking I was smart I took exit 696 before exit 694 (the sign said the tap room was at 694), on the alternate route through Loleta.  There was an old guy hiking to loleta.  Loleta was tiny, really tiny, so it didn't have the tap room I was expected.  It did have a cheese factory with some very good samples.  Enough that I bought some smoked cheddar.  In loleta I found out fortuna had an eel river tap room, about 6 miles down the road.  I rode until the first exit to fortuna then rode all the main st.  The first motel looked really dingy, so I continued on until I found a bike shop where the mechanic checked my chain, replaced it without trying to do more work, they also gave me directions to a set of motels and the tap room.  Thus I am staying at the super 8 and had the taster at the tap room with wings.  The best beers were the acai wheat and the triple exultation, both of which I brought back for a night of tv, beer and emails.

One of the weird things about riding south is that I have gone further south than the days have gotten longer.

Problems passing urine, the tv commercial couldn't say pissing or urinating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home