Great Cycling Adventures

12 June 2009

I'm using a program called "note everything" for my ride reports.  It has a few different types of notes.  Unfortunatley what is missing are two things.  1) Send to blogger.  2) picture note, I would like to take a picture of some thing then describe what I think.  For example, I discovered that my new, rather tight cycling shorts have a pair of lips on the front side padding.  This juveniel thing does provide me some entertainment.

As for the actual ride, I took a quick side trip up to Astoria column after having breakfast with an older couple from Minnesota (they have three horses, and also went up to the column after breakfast.  Then I had some more breakfast and headed west along 101.  My first stop was in seaside where I failed to fine what I was looking for at the safeway, so I continued on to cannon beach where I made a wrong turn, so I decided to explore the beach.  Unfortunately my wrong turn put me on the wrong side of the river so I had a long walk to the ocean.  I took some pictures (to prove I was on the wrong side ;)  then moved on.  I briefly stopped at the bike shop, but the guy there likes to replace the cassette anytime he changes chains, so I continued on.  At this point I pass a couple cycling to probably Tillamook today, again.  We met up one more time at the tunnel then I left them behind, they were much slower than me going uphill.  I arrived at nehalem park by 1330 and I left the lamplighter motel at 0930, which isn't bad time given all the stops I made.  When I got here I took a walk along the beach the whole length of the campground then laid down to enjoy the sun (it came out as I got to the beach).  Twice after cannon beach I had to stop after a hill because my nuts hurt from the cold.

Food
2 pieces sugar break, 3 slices brreakfast cobbler
1 cliff bar
1 cylinder of pringles (a proctor and gamble product as I learned watching cash cab on my way out this morning)
1 peanut butter and currant wrap
Half a pepperoni stick with cheese and peanut butter

I have discovered there are some surfaces are better than others for walking on with cycling shoes:
Wood, e g boardwalks
Hard beach or dirt trail
Smooth pavement
Soft beach
Gravel

The beaches here are really nice.  The sand is some times very hard and others rather soft.  By looking I can't tell the difference and the hardness can change from step to step.

God damn it, some bird got into my food.  Now I have no wraps or currants!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home