Great Cycling Adventures

09 June 2009

Today I had to finally get my stuff reorganized for this trip.  I repacked bags, put all the stuff I wasn't going to bike with in roberto's hard case, mailed it to him at work, picked up some groceries, said goodbye to ricmoo and headed out.  I caught the 1015 ferry to bremerton.  There is construction at the ferry docks in bremerton, so I did a useless loop and ended up in the unloading traffic despite being the first one off the ferry.  Today was very hot, I seemed to sweating faster than I could absorb water, but I didn't feel sweaty since the sweat was drying so fast.  I was feeling fairly tired before shelton, but I was making such good time that I decided I would continue on to lake sylvia park.  I stopped 1/2 mile outside shelton (obviously I didn't know I was that close.  I rested moved my lock from jabbing me in the back, snacked on some raisons and decided to eat at the first available place on the 101 after shelton.  I enjoyed a sub outside shelton, 1/4 mile before the turnoff to 108.  I was now on the route descibed in the book.  I got rehydrated through sweetened iced tea.  The first 5 miles of 108 were hard, it was hot, uphill on rough road.  I had to stop twice.  After those hard miles I had an uneventful trip until I got onto 8 where I immediately got a flat front tire.  To get an earlier start today (and to carry less stuff) I skipped the needed trip to rei, so my front tire now needs to be replaced and neither elma nor montesano have bike shops.  After the flat I made good time to elma where I took a break.  On the last 10miles of highway to montesano the headwind was strong and my back weak so I stopped every 3 miles for a few minutes.  I got into montesano before 1800.  I did see a "cycle" shop on the road today, I was disappointed to find out it was for harley davidsons.

Food:
2 bowls of coco-puffs
Cliff bar
Veggie sub, 2 cookies, 2 cups raspberry iced tea, sweetened.
Shrimp bisck
Baked spagetti.

I went for supper at an italian place in montesano, it was good, and was 14$ with a tip.  I was annoyed to learn the hiker/biker site was 14$ per night in cash or check.  I wonder if I can get change tomorrow when the ranger station opens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home