Great Cycling Adventures

18 May 2005

The better the night, the less writing. Yesterday, the plan was to do a nice 45 mile trip to Stirling. I think I did about 50 miles, about 20 of which was on a cycle path from Killin to Callander. Unfortunately along that path I took at least one wrong turn and went up a big logging road. Going down was fun, but half of the down was backtracking. The Stirling hostel is even more institutional, the class of about grade 6 students doesn't help. I did meet a family from Saskatoon though and played crazy eights with one of them. The class of kids sat down for breakfast did not sit themselves in any mixed gender tables.

Doune Castle was a lot of fun. I arrived around 1315, and hour or so after I had wanted to, but still with lots of time to explore the castle and get to Stirling. Doune was fun to explore as there was very little blocked off and a bit of history to it. When I went in there was a sign saying the guardian was on the grounds, so have a walk around ans pay on the way out. So I explored for about an hour, then went to pay where the woman convinced me to buy and explorer pass which gets me into lots of places for 3 out of 5 days. So, I also spent 2 hours walking around Stirling Castle once I had arrived in Stirling before 1530. After playing crazy eights in the lounge I had my beer in the dining room and decided on todays plan: Argyll's Lodge, library, cycle shop, Wallace Monument, Campbell Castle. I think I got some midge bits while eatin lunch yesterday. Anyway, I was cleaning up my pint glass when an Aussie girl, Brenda, came in and started cooking. We ended up talking until about midnight. Which included eating, walking around town and spinning on a tire like thing until we were both very queasy. She mentioned sleeping naked a fair bit. However, the lowest temperature ever recorded in her home town was 17 Celcious. It's usually above 300K.

Anyway, today, I took a look around Stirling, saw Argyll's Lodge, William Wallace's Monument and then a nice flat ride out to Dollar, a walk threw Dollar Glen then a quick tour of Castle Campbell. There isn't much special about the place, but the monument curator lives at the castle.

Argyll's lodging had the more interesting bits blocked off, but the furniture was awesome to see. Brenda doesn't seem to around tonight so I don't have much to do and there is an extra class load of kids around. I did meet a couple from Peterborough, On.

Nestle is the cerial brand here instead of General Mills, i.e. Nestle Cheerios in a white box.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home