Great Cycling Adventures

13 June 2009

During a bored afternoon nap yesterday I got company.  3 cyclists showed up.  The first was a middle aged couple that were trying to bike from vancouver to tiajuana.  (Canada to Mexico according to the sing on her trailer, yup they were americans).  They probably won't make it, after nehalem they were going to go into portland (maybe a 3 day trip for them) and it sounded like that would be the end of their biking.  If it isn't good for them.  However they have way too much stuff and not enough experience biking.  The other guy that came in was Bill, he was from near Savannah Georgia.  He was biking from tiajuana to vancouver.  At 72 he is doing very well for himself. He knows how long he can go each day and has a mostly inland route through Washington so he'l finish up in vancouver in the next couple weeks.  I built a nice little fire last night that bill and I enjoyed, it turns out cathy and I forgot his lawyer, gun afficianato name weren't willing to join us, so he stuck a log in my fire and carried it back to his pile of sticks to try to light them.  That didn't work so they retired to their tent to finish enjoying the effects of the margarita pitcher they had had.

Anyway, on to today.  I got a reasonable start today at 0830.  The road to Tillamook was uneventful and I only stopped once for a bite of a cliff bar.  The Tillamook cheese factory isn't very interesting.  You can watch people take apart a large block of cheese into smaller blocks.  On bills suggestion I got an ice cream cone there.  2 scoops was way too much for me but I ordered two flavours so I got 2 scoops.  The blueberry cheesecake was fantastic but the wild mountain blackberry was rather bland.  I got groceries in Tillamook (a crow got into my groceries while I was on the beach and ate my currants and mountain bread) then continued on to cape mead.  The headwinds along the Tillamook river/bay were noticeable but nothing that would turn me back.  The climb up to Cape Meade was well shaded and was only a mile, the other mile from the bay was flat and fun.  The lighthouse had some very cool views and a tree that has 8 trunks coming out of its base.

Out of Cape Meade was really fun there were a couple short climbs with very fast decents.  On the flats after Nekarts the tailwind was very nice iit felt like the air was moving at all.  In cape lookout state park there are a bunch of other bikers, so far all of whom got here before me.

Cape lookout has a nature trail, the trees on the trail aren't too interesting, but the base of the trees are really cool since they seem to grow out of a dead tree and the dead trees seem to have gnarly bases.  I also a bug that was the size of my thumb.
Todays ride ended at 01340.

The sun came out at Tillamook.  Yesterday the sun waited until I got to the sand dunes to come out.

Food
A big bowl of granola
1 apple
2 scoops of ice cream
1 cliff bar
1 pb, raison and cheese wrap

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home