Great Cycling Adventures

14 July 2009

The wireless in south beach state park isn't free.  I got into the park at 1630.  I asked the gate officer how she was doing, she said "don't ask" so I offered her some sour patch kids since those made my day a lot better.  I think her day has gotten better from the sour patch kids.  The showers here are hot but any shower after 3 days feels good.  Now if only I can find a way to ensure my hair is dry by nightfall.

Before getting to the park I crossed the bridge out of newport expecting to go to the maritime museum, but I passed the rogue brewery, so I stopped in for a nice taster.  The double dead guy is strong, I like the shakespere stout, but I think it had too much of a coffee flavour to be a good oatmeal stout.  The morimota soba was very nice it is a light smooth beer.  The honey orange wheat beer was different.  The penguins won?  I wasn't expecting that, last I knew they were down 2 or 3 games to 1.

Still going backwards, upon arriving in newport the first place I saw was a restaurant called izzy's.  It turned out to be a buffet, I guess an all you can eat buffet, I didn't stick around to try more than one piled on plate.  I did have a salad, clam chowder, and dessert.  I guess marionberry is an oregon specific berry.  One interesting they had beside the usual comfort mac & cheese or bacon was a roasted potato that was longwise sliced potatoes cooked in chicken batter.  I liked the garlic mashed potatoes more.  The reason I stopped at izzy's is that it was on the turn out to the lighthouse I was going to check out. I didn't go up in the lighthouse since there was a line, but I did get to see a lot of cool seabirds piled on the rock islands near the shore.  The other bonus of the lighthouse is that it was free for anyone that didn't drive in.  Like me!

The cape of foulweather was beautiful, they was a slow grade up with beautiful weather, the giftshop at the top also had no wind.  The raod was one way with 1 lane for bikes and one lane for cars.  I thought I heard a tire start to go flat on the way up, but nothing was wrong.

People for last night: martin, logan, yan, montreal couple, graeme (on recumbant) and chris.  Last night was the first night with a good number of people at the hiker-biker sites.  Yan was one guy from montreal who did an emt course in yosemite then for a vacation he rode from sacramento to nehalem where some family was picking up today.  Logan was a young guy who is in his post high school life crisis.  He has taken a couple years off and is now riding to oxnard.  He may have gotten to licoln city today.  Graeme and chris are brothers, chris is taking graeme on a bike tour since graeme was recently laid off.  They weren't going very fair each day, maybe more than 20 miles.  And lastly Martin who has recently been laid off made an off hand comment about riding the pacific coast since he had the time, now he is doing it with cheaply acquired and some borrowed equipement (the burley trailer is borrowed).

Getting to pacific city was uneventful.  I passed Martin on the first climb.  Unfortunately I missed the cape kiwanda state park.

I didn't enjoy getting to lincoln city, my nut hurt and I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere since I was slowing down to stretch so often.  I picked up some sour patch kids and spent a bunch of time sitting or laying on sidewalks, and finally made it on my way.  Whatever I was supposed to see here I missed.

To depoe bay was better than to licoln city since it was shorter and I knew the places I wanted to stop. I couldn't see the boiler in boiler bay, but I did have more sour patch kids.  The harbour was neat I got a picture of fish being gutted.  I also came across another rider going north.  He seemed to have very ambitious plans for how far he could go even though it was probably afternoon. I did see a couple going down the north side of cape foulweather touring.  There seems to be a lot of people doing the north to south trip.

I've barely had time to write this entry I talked to some of the camp volunteers for a while, got a cookie and some popcorn.  While talking a nice young woman with cycling gloves came in.  I figured this meant I wasn't the only cyclist anymore.  I was right Faiza had arrived (the young woman) and Martin had also made it to south beach as he planned with getting his wheel fixed in newport.  Faiza's friend Kathleen arrived a little later, they are riding down to SF and are hoping to make it for pride on the 28th.  Really the dyke march on the 27th, Martin has a similar plan for the 28th. Faiza is spelled with a zed.  She is going to go to berkeley in the fall for a masters of social work, so this ride is also is connecting her to the bay area and vancouver where she grew up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home