Great Cycling Adventures

14 July 2009

Last night I hiked around all the short trails at richardson's grove, then went to the campfire about toads and frogs.  I failed to light the campfire, my minimalist style was not effective with the logs that were there, but I did throw around a frisbee with Will & Adam.  My frisbee skills are still in tact after the years of disuse.  After the campfire Amy gave us some marshmellows to roast so the 5 social ones at the hike & bike camp cooked up some yummy sugar.  The other guy at the hike & bike camp was probably going north since he left about 15 minutes before me and I didn't pass him.  He was sort of different he didn't talk to me in the morning when he was packing up and he didn't have cycling shorts (or legs).  Also his helmet was a hard hat.  I'm guess he was laid off and is moving some place or trying to live cheaply for a while.  I was away shortly after 0700, probably 0715, I arrived at MacKerricher beach before 1400.  The first 16 miles to standish-hickey were long and hard as I expected, the rest of the climb up Leggett wasn't bad, it was simply a long up.  What made it hard was there was no place for water for 28 miles so I stopped at the drive through tree in the town of Legget (I didn't have to pay :) to fill up my extra water bottle.  I didn't need all the extra water so I carried more weight than I needed.  The descent from the summit had lots of places for the road leveled out I didn't work too hard on those so it took me a while to get to the bottom of Leggett hill.  Rockport hill may have been harder, certainly the traffic was worse.  The coast road after the rockport hill was pretty fast except some portions which did big sweeping moves inland downhill, then came back to the coast uphill against the wind.  I had 3 cliffs bars to eat today along with an apple and a small bag of peanuts at standish hickey.  Lunch was a reheated spinich and feta calzone that didn't have enough feta and a klondike bar in Westport.  I rode about 55 miles today.

I visited the beach here, instead of sand the beach is made up of tiny rocks.  On my way back from the beach I saw to boys touring north, they aren't at the hike & bike site, so they could be trying to go over leggett hill today.  I've been surprised how much bigger and stronger the waves on the northern california coast are compared to the northern oregon coast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home