Great Cycling Adventures

14 July 2009

I'm finally on the way to my house, this time riding the caltrain north.  My best hoped plans didn't materialize at all, so I strictly can't say I've failed, but I do need to figure out what is next.

I'll start with today, I woke up on willchan's couch, Katelyn and I convinced him to do moody, so I put my bike together, pumped the tires and we headed out.  Neal, Zoran, Luis joined us.  I had trouble with my phone for timing the ride, but Moody got flatter since I road it last.  I passed Zoran and Neal despite them having a minute-ish head start on me.  Then the rest of the day was wasted chatting with people and waiting for Roberto to get to work so I could get the stuff I mailed to him.  I couldn't fit all my stuff into the backpack I mailed, but at least I have my laptop so I can get my pictures off my camera.

As for yesterday, I had a reasonably quick ride from Samuel P Taylor state park to the office in SF.  I got to thre office before 1000 in time for yet another fire drill.  I have no clue what time I left since both my phones died the day before.  Even the one I tried to leave off so I wouldn't have to worried about the battery.  It seems I turned that on at some point.  The route was mostly well marked through the constant suburbs of Marin, except for the transition from route 15 to route 5.  The headwinds in Sausilito were the worst of the trip, especially coming out of Sausilito.  The city looked to be covered in cloud and fog from the Sausilito and the bridge was buried in fog, but once I got to Chrissie fields the sun was out and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride through SF.  As with today I mostly wasted the day at the office chatting with people and not doing work.   I go out for lunch with Tina.  At the end of the day I did butterlap.  San Francisco has also gotten flatter since I left.  By the new definition of a hill (my lowest gear up, and hardest gear down) the normal two hills of butterlap were reduced to one.  After butter I stopped by Toronado for drinks with Tina, Jeff, Noonan, and random people Tina and Noonan know.  As I was about to leave Devon (a random girl I met that night) asked me to change shirts (I was wearing a Google shirt I found at my desk that happened to be clean, unlike the clothes I had with me while camping).  So I traded shirts now I have a brown and white stripped woman's shirt.  I wonder if I can trade, or make use of this shirt in anyway.

Now for my last real day of riding. I left Gualala county park about 0630 before the ranger came by to collect fees.  One other woman who I saw hiking out to the beach the evening before also left at 0630 with me.  The day started heating up pretty quickly, I stopped every ten miles or so for the first 30 miles.  The second of those stopped was to chat with two boys going north to Portland.  They started in SoCal and had burned too much money at the start so were down to 5$ a day per person for food and lodging.  (This is sort of hard without the map, I don't remember the town names and the order is very easy to mess up)

Fort Ross, there before it opened

Abalone divers, mosty asian men, lots of white trucks.
The day Before that, the small town was all Fords.

Camped with Reuban & Carly from SF who were geocaching and doing there first bike camping trip.  Bill (a mechanic at American Cyclery) & Dan ( a mechanic at Mike's Bikes).

85 mile day to Samuel P Taylor, done by 1530.  The last couple miles were hard, after the hot hill

My ankle did feel some pain, like after waves to wine, I like I push really hard with those slow hills, I did spent a large portion of the day in my big ring, except for the coastal climbs.  I climbs seemed to be the hardest of the trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home