Great Cycling Adventures

11 May 2005

50-pound day, ouch. One hostel in Fort Augustus is closed, so the other one is full. So, I'm staying in a B&B. I also went out for dinner. Dinner was Haggis & Neeps. Now I can say that I have had haggis. It tastes basically the same as mom/dad's beef stew. I've also had a strong real ale, it tastes pretty much the ssame as the weak stuff, but it has more alcohol.

To sum up the last two days: Today sucked, yesterday awesome. So why today sucked: the hostel was full, the servers at the restaurant were bad and unorganized. I did try 4 scottish cheeses, none were bad. The bike ride took from 9:30 until 5:15. The good parts of today: I tried haggis, and my clothes are being cleaned (2 days overdue). the view is nice. I saw Eilean Ducaan in Dornie. It is a nice bastle but there were way too many ADD (read american bus) tourists while I was there. It turns out Lochach started out in the Lordship of the Isles, which the MacDonald was given at a meeting at Dunakin or Castle Moil, which I saw yesterday in Kyleakin.

Yesterday was good, here is why. I found some free breakfast, scottish oatmeal poridge, at the hostel in Portree. I was riding on the road by 8:30am. The ride to Kyleakin was swift, and with the wind. I arrived at the hostel in Kyleakin about 11:35, by noon I had a bed and briefly met a girl from South Carolina. The afternoon was filled with walking. I stood on a view point compass which showed all the things to see around Kyelakin, then I sunbathed on a rock for a short period. Katie (the girl from South Carolina) actually had that rock. I did see the english couple coucling again, they were cycling out of Kyleakin, I was cycling in, we greeted each other in recognition.

The Illiad isn't so bad to read, I got a couple chapters into it while I was at the Portree hostel and the hostel was having trouble with the boiler. I'm amazed every night is full daylight at 8pm. It is usually light out until around 10pm.

After the viewing table dancing and sunbathing, I took a walk a long the Obbe, saw a lot of Herons. I don't think any of the pictures will turn out too well. My walk continued up into the forest outside Kyleakin. I walked along a logging road for about forty minutes with my shirt off (trying to remove the beakon-like whiteness of my belly. It didn't work). Supper was simple again, very student-like. After supper I started talking to Katie, who is at school in Glasgow for accounting during the summer. We had some drinks, went grocery shopping, played some cards and sat up talking until 12:30am. It turns out she is a huge B5 fan. There can never be enough of us.

I have a mirror in my room in the B&B, I couldn't find a mirror in the hostel in Stornoway.

The neighbours at the B&B are having really banding sex, they aren't being vocal, it can't be that good. I don't even have clothes to get outof the B&B (they are being washed). I do need clean clothes though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home