Great Cycling Adventures

03 May 2005

It turns out that I am not the only person in the hostel, but the other beds are taken up by a large group of Polish men. Of which only one seems to speak English. He is the one who helped me last night. Today, I tried to bike to Port Nis, I failed. Early this morning, read before 9am when the bike store opened, I took a nice walk around Lews Castle. Lews Castle was the home of Sir James Matheson, on the castle grounds is his grave stone, it is quite large and elaborate, containing James' entire life story.

The kiltmakers in town would take 8 weeks to make me a kilt, which means I would not have it for convocation. I seem to be having trouble find the 'old' Morrison crest and tartan. I have not seen any Green Morrison tartan's in town and the driftwood crest for Dun Eystein seems to been phased out for Phabby's sword crest.

Back to biking. Crossing Lewis' interior isn't too hard, it's only 12 miles. However, on my first attempt I thought it was only 8 miles, it was also pouring rain such that it looked foggy out, but it was all rain. The wind was also against me. So twelve miles of discomfort and 15 more to go , I decided I wouldn't go all the way to Nis. Instead I had lunch at Barabhas then saw the standing stone at Baile De Truiseil whre the Macauly's and the Morrison's last fought. The bike back from Baile de Truiseil to Stornoway was great, it only took an hour to cross the interior in glorious sunlight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home